Behind the Medals debate on Sochi Olympics
Does good sportsmanship have more value than a podium spot? On Friday, Feb.14, a Royal Roads University panel will look at how to balance the push for winning performances with the celebration of individual achievements. he panel will discuss the ecstasy and agony of competing at the Olympics, and reflect on some of the stories that came out of the last week’s events. Send questions ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit questions via chat during the livestream.
- School of Communication and Culture director Jennifer Walinga, member of Canada's Commonwealth, World and Olympic gold medalist rowing teams (1983-1992)
- Media and sports expert Michael Real, who managed a project for UNESCO that resulted in a book-length report Global Ritual: Olympic Media Coverage and International Understanding
- School of Leadership Studies and Office of Interdisciplinary Studies adjunct professor Deanna Binder, an education consultant for the International Olympic Committee and author of its Olympic values global education program
- Marilyn Taylor, director of the Institute for Values-Based Leadership and professor in the School of Leadership Studies at RRU. Taylor is a founding member of the International Consortium for Coaching in Organizations
- Special guest moderator is Times Colonist sports columnist Cleve Dheensaw
Watch it online
Watch the livestream here.