International Day of Peace Virtual Dialogue: Shaping Peace Together
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PEACE: SHAPING PEACE TOGETHER (SDG #16)
LA JOURNÉE INTERNATIONALE DE LA PAIX: FAÇONNER LA PAIX ENSEMBLE (ODD #16)
In this moment in history, never before has the idea of convening for peace been more urgent. The convergence of movements like #BLM, climate activism, #MeToo, and Canadian Truth and Reconciliation amidst global waves of COVID-19, all during the United Nations' 75th anniversary year, is a stark reminder of the need for cooperation across borders, sectors and generations. The global response to this disruption will determine how we recover and whether we attain sustainable development goals through revitalized global partnership. Global dialogue – and action – is now more urgent than ever. But global cooperation has been lagging. Will this pandemic bring the world closer together or lead to greater mistrust?
Join Royal Roads University hosts Assoc. Fac. Olaolu Adeleye, Assist. Prof. Athena Madan, Prof. Ken Christie and Instructional Designer Donna Desbiens and panelists who share their thoughts and visions for a more inclusive future:
- Bassam Al-Kuwatli, Royal Roads alumni (CAM) and Managing Director, RMTeam (Istanbul)
- Chris Kilford, director, Canadian International Council (Ottawa/Victoria)
- Jacqueline Quinless, adjunct professor, Department of Sociology, and Associate Faculty, Centre of Indigenous Research and Community Engagement, University of Victoria (Victoria)
- Alain Ngouem, policy and programs analyst, Ontario Public Service (Toronto)
- Saeed Selvam, manager of public policy, Laidlaw Foundation (Toronto)
- Anjum Sultana, national director of public policy & strategic communications, YWCA Canada (Toronto)
The discussion will be followed by a Q&A period. Your voice is crucial to the promotion of peace and ending of violence. The discussion will be recorded, and our recommendations will be forwarded to the United Nationals General Assembly to help inform global priorities for 2020 and beyond. Your input may inspire new programs, investments, partnerships and campaigns.
Interested but unable to attend? Everyone who registers will receive a link to the webinar recording.
- Date: Monday, Sept. 21, 2020
- Time: Noon - 1 p.m. (Pacific Time)
- Register here
- If you have any questions, contact Athena Madan