Moodle Skills Workshop (MSW)
Acquire and practice the skills you need to be confident when editing your online Moodle courses. Both novice and experienced instructors will explore the Moodle editing environment and practice creating basic elements for a course. Facilitators will guide you through a series of exercises aimed at helping you develop engaging, enjoyable, and dynamic online learning experiences. This workshop will use the new Moodle platform, and thus will also introduce participants to new features of the platform.
Through hands-on experimentation, you will learn to add Moodle resources and activities to courses. You will:
- Convert files to webpages and organize them into "books"
- Upload files and organize them into folders
- Add external links to your course
- Add and configure forums and assignments
- Experiment with wikis and polls
- Learn how to embed image, audio and video resources
- Learn how to use groups and groupings to manage student teams
- Examine 'user' reports
- See how conditional activities can be used to manage the student experience; and
- Learn how to setup and manage grades.
Workshop facilitators will share tips and tricks to help you be more efficient at managing the Moodle environment, and walk you through the process and quality standards used at Royal Roads University. Learn industry-standard best practices in online learning interfaces, such as creating welcoming home pages, preparing logical course structures, and organizing resources clearly. These practices will reduce frustration and improve the experience for both you and your students.
Moodle Skills Workshop is a full-day course with approximately two hours preparation prior to the course.
Instructional Designers from RRU's Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies (CTET) are all experienced educators with a variety of backgrounds that range from higher education, K-12, private sector and government.