National Indigenous Peoples Day 2020 Celebrations
Hay’sxw’qa si’em! Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
Old Ones/Elders/Knowledge Keepers, community leaders, youth, performers and artists gather safely together to film NIPD 2020 celebrations at Royal Roads University on the traditional lands of the Lekwungen (Songhees) and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) ancestors and families.
Watch the video
Share the video
What you'll see
- Opening prayer by Elder Shirley Alphonse, Cowichan with T’sou-ke Nation
- Messages of good wishes from government and community leaders, and Royal Roads University President Philip Steenkamp
- Performance by the Lekwungen Traditional Dancers from Songhees Nation
- Canoe landing teaching, history and stories by Lekwungen Nation Elder Butch Dick and the Ocean Spirit Canoe Family with Max Henry Sr., Max Henry Jr., and youth
- Métis teachings with Jo-Ina Young, Knowledge Keeper, Métis Nation of Greater Victoria
- Métis Jigger & Fiddler performance with Simone Blais & Calvin Cairns
- Recognition for the 10 recipients of the Premiers Award for Indigenous Youth Excellence in Sport with ISPARC
- Performance from the Coming of Age Program led by Jessica Sault, France Cyr and community
With thanks to the Elders/Old Ones/Knowledge Keepers and all the partners who made this event possible: Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation, University of Victoria, Camosun College, Sooke Family Resource Centre, ISPARC, Métis Nation of Greater Victoria, West Shore Parks & Recreation, Power to Be, Vancity Credit Union , School District 62 – Aboriginal Education Department, Island Métis Family & Community Services Society and Ocean Spirit Canoe Family.