Bike to Work Week a huge success
Royal Roads participated in another successful Bike to Work Week this year. In total, 39 RRU staff and students participated, logging a combined distance of 2,486 kilometres! That’s the equivalent of riding from here to Winnipeg, then around the Winnipeg perimeter highway and then into town for some hideously unhealthy but well deserved dessert!
The RRU Roadies are currently ranked eighth in the province for distance travelled. Together, our riding helped prevent 540 kilograms of greenhouse gases from being sent out into the atmosphere.
Daily prizes, prizes for longest single commute and greatest overall distance ridden for the week and lots of prizes and laughter at the Bike Challenge event.
A big thank you to Will Meredith, Gen Hasewaga, Kyla Beattie and Gina Williams from the Bike to Work Week committee, they did a great job in organizing the event as well as soliciting donations for the prizes.
Thank you also to:
- Sarah Cook - donating her lunch to to provide a yoga session to the RRU Roadies BTWW Team
- Brent Hooper - Velofix – Mobile Bike ProShop - assessing loads of bikes and making minor adjustments
- Thrifty Foods - donation of bananas and apples for the Bike Event
- VP Academic & Provost - donation of juice and water for the Bike Event
- Goldstream Bikes, Coastal Cycle and North Park Bicycle shop - each donated a $65 bike tune up
- Other prize donations from RRU Rec Centre, Marketing, Office of Sustainability, Feel Good Yoga