Campus power: internet and electrical outages
Internet outage Dec. 23, 2018
BCNet (Royal Roads University’s internet service provider) has scheduled system-wide internet service upgrades on Dec. 23 between 6 and 10 a.m. This will result in a brief (fewer than 10 minutes) outage to the university’s internet connection during this timeframe. Access to the university’s websites will be interrupted. Email to and from Royal Roads will be queued and sent once the connection comes back up.
Campus power outage Dec. 27, 2018
Advancing the electrical upgrades to the campus, plans for the second of three campus power outages are being confirmed for Dec. 27 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
What will be impacted and what can you do to prepare?
All staff are asked to shut down their computers before they leave for their holidays, as a precautionary measure. You will receive a reminder to do so from IT in advance.
- Power to campus will be off during power outage hours and on between power outages
- Traffic control will be provided by Royal Roads Security during power outages
- Recreation Centre will be closed during power outage hours and will reopen between power outages
- Library will be closed during power outage hours and will reopen between power outages
- Habitat Café will be closed during power outage hours and will reopen between power outages
- Sherman Jen Building Café will be closed for the weekend as normal
- Emergency access will be maintained
- Transit service to the campus will be maintained as per regular schedules
- Moodle and RRU webmail will not be disrupted
- Remote access on Sentinel should be limited to essential work needs only
- Outlook and internet will be shut down in preparation for the planned power outage: files saved on your C drive will be accessible, but the network will not be available.
Emergencies during power outage
In case of emergency during the power outage, you can reach Royal Roads Security at 250.415.7811, 250.415-8572 or 250.580.2896.