CTET Studio year in review
It’s the festive season and a time to celebrate the successes of the year. CTET Studio is pleased to share an update recapping some of our service enhancements and improvements from 2017.
New Studio Liaison
- Lauren Godfrey-Smith joined our team in March, 2017. Lauren, who has a PhD in Educational Studies, is always happy to chat with faculty and staff in Studio and would love to help you learn more about the educational technologies we support and the services CTET has available.
WordPress for faculty
- In addition to launching WebSpace for students earlier this year, we have also been piloting a WordPress service for faculty, research, and program support needs. We are very excited to now offer WordPress as a formal part of the CTET service catalogue. Faculty and staff can now request their own WordPress site for research or program support needs. More information about WordPress and training opportunities to come in the New Year!
Custom workshops and one-on-one training
- We are pleased to be able to offer custom workshops and one-on-one training about educational technologies and more. Our team includes university faculty, graphic designers, communications experts, animators, illustrators, website developers, programmers, project managers, business analysts, and more. Contact us to discuss creating a custom training workshop or arrange individual training with one of our subject matter experts.
Program staff support & training
- This year, in recognition of the vital role that staff play in supporting excellent learning experiences, we made our relationship with Royal Roads staff official. All Studio services, including our workshops, are now fully available to staff. In November, we hosted a workshop called CTET Orientation for Program Staff; based on the positive feedback we received, we have plans to make this session a regular offering.
New technology workshops
- We increased our workshop service catalogue this year. Besides a number of one-off workshops (e.g. Moodle 3.2 training, My Media workshops, etc.), as well as ongoing updates and improvements to our existing workshops, we added a new offering to our ongoing suite of technology-focused workshops: Getting Started with Collaborate Ultra. We also have plans to develop and launch a workshop about Moodle grading and gradebook in the New Year. Stay tuned!
Collaborate Ultra launch & training
- This year brought a new and improved version of Collaborate, our web-conferencing system. The new version, called Collaborate Ultra, is modern, mobile friendly, and fully web-based. We also increased the amount of support for Collaborate Ultra that we provide. Faculty and staff can participate in workshops, request one-on-one training (remote or in-person), get technical assistance with first live sessions, as well as Collaborate rooms for meetings external to Moodle.
Improved workshop registration system
- In collaboration with Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS), we updated the process of registration for all CTET workshops. All our workshops are listed on the PCS website, which is also where participants can now register for any of our ongoing offerings. Remember, fees for all workshops are waived for RRU faculty and staff. Contact us for the discount code.
Moodle video / multimedia integration & training
- In October, we launched a new Moodle-integrated tool called My Media, which allows Moodle users (including students) to easily create, edit, and share videos, screencasts, narrated presentations, video quizzes, and more. Besides the online and on-campus workshops that we put on in October (also available on-demand), we added a chapter about My Media to the Knowledgebase with how-to articles, video demonstrations, and trouble-shooting tips.
Studio space improvements
- We’ve been making steady improvements to our physical space in Studio in order to serve faculty and staff more effectively. Recent changes include a bigger service desk and a big screen monitor so we can collaborate with you better when you visit us in person. We also now have three big-screen workstations (including a dual-monitor and a Mac computer) for faculty and staff to use at any time, whether it’s for five minutes or the whole afternoon.
Moodle 3.2 launch & training
- 2017 saw a major upgrade to Moodle, Royal Roads learning management system (LMS). Moodle 3.2 went live on June 21. Our support and training for the transition included regular communications, briefings at school meetings, a WordPress info-site, online and on-campus workshops, and one-on-one training and support via our Studio help desk. We were thrilled with the positive feedback from the community!
Digital sign for faculty & staff
- In collaboration with Student Services, we organised the installation of a digital sign outside CTET (LIC 004). This digital sign is the first on campus to include messaging specifically for faculty and staff. Based on the positive feedback we have received, we are planning a second digital sign in the staff lounge behind the Habitat café.
- This year, we’ve made a concerted effort to communicate with our community with frequent Crossroads articles. We’ve also been more active on Twitter; Follow @RRU_CTET for updates, events, higher education news, and more.
Do you have any questions, comments, or ideas to share with us? We love hearing from faculty and staff. Contact CTET Studio by email, phone (ext. 4465), or in-person (LIC 004).
CTET Studio is a collaboration space where faculty, associate faculty, and staff can work with CTET staff, learn how to use educational technologies, and get help with Moodle and other tools.