Healthy U: July events on and off campus
It’s officially summer and we’ve done some digging to find some great events happening on and around campus this month!
Catch fireworks July 1, Pride events happening at Royal Roads and in the community, or one of the many other events listed.
Wondering how to work in some exercise and sustainable transportation this month? All Royal Roads Staff can sign up for a free U-Bike summer pass!
This month we are proud to announce that Walmsley, our EFAP provider, now offers appointments with a registered dietitian. Appointments with Kristen Yarker, MSc RD, are available to Royal Roads staff and their dependents. To learn more, please visit the Walmsley page on our HR website for login information. Once you’ve logged into Walmsley pselect Employee Resources > Counsellors > Vancouver Island > Victoria > Kristen Yarker. Kristen also has a blog with healthy eating tips and different recipes. If you’re looking for some new recipes to try this summer, check out Kristen’s blog. Explore Walmsley’s website for more information about the services they provide.
Hopefully you have plans this summer to take some time off with friends and family, enjoy the sunshine (but don’t forget about sun protection!) and take in the natural beauty of Vancouver Island.
RRU Recreation Centre
Don’t forget a year membership for staff and faculty is only $65 ($67.20 with tax).
Check out the Rec Centre website for an up-to-date court and class schedule.
- Wednesday, July 3: Pride on Campus
- July 8 to July 31: Library Showcase celebrates Indigenous art and writing
- July and August: Free U-Bike Summer Pass for all RRU Staff
- July 7 to July 28 on Sundays: Music in the Park at Veterans Memorial Park Langford
- July 6 to July 27 on Saturdays: Goldstream Farmers Market at Veterans Memorial Park Langford
- Wednesdays all year: the November project at Beacon Hill park
- July 1, 6, 13, 20: Pacific FC games
- Saturday, July 6: MEC Love Floats Pride Paddle
- Monday, July 1: Canada Day Events
- Month of July: Greater Victoria Festivals and Special Events
- Fridays and Saturdays in July: Beach Food and Music at the Esquimalt Lagoon
- June 30 to July 7: Victoria Pride Week
- Month of July: Alzheimer Society of B.C.
- All Summer: Harbour Cats Baseball
Government of Canada’s July 2019 health promotion days
- July 5: National Injury Prevention Day
- July 24: International Self-Care Day
- July 28: World Hepatitis Day -
Walmsley and Associates
Our new Employee and Family Assistance Provider has some great resources in their Wellness Library. Visit the Walmsley page on our HR website for login information.
- Substance use
- Emotional health/wellness
- Work/family/life balance
- Wellness apps (such as Headspace for meditation, Mindshift for anxiety, Smoke Free for smoking cessation)