Healthy U: October events on and off campus
Fall is now here and the holidays are right around the corner. Don’t forget to take time for yourself and savour these crisp, cooler days. The campus is bustling this time of year with lots of things to do. We encourage you to take part but also to get off campus and see what the community is offering. Markets are still in full swing with plenty of local produce to nourish you and many festive activities are happening for a social fix. Wishing you a healthy and happy month!
Royal Roads Recreation Centre
Don’t forget a yearly membership for staff and faculty is only $65 ($67.20 with tax).
Check out the Rec Centre website for an up-to-date court and class schedule.
- Oct 7 – 11: complete HeathyU’s Passport to Wellbeing!
- Oct 7 – 11: Gratitude Banners
- Oct 9: United Way Kick-off and Art Show
- Oct 9: Roads to Research – The Grand Challenges: Climate Pollution and Biodiversity Conservation
- Oct 8 : Yoga for beginners
- Oct 9: Marvelous Mushroom Employee Tour - email to sign up!
- Oct 10: World Mental Health Day – light it up purple
- Oct 10 and 11: Yoga
- Oct 23: Electric Vehicle CoP meeting
- Oct 31: Halloween!
- Oct weekends: Pumpkinfest at Galey’s farms
- Wednesdays all year: The November Project at Beacon Hill park
- Thursdays: Esquimalt Farmers Market
- Saturdays: Moss Street Market, Goldstream Farmers Market, Sooke Country Market and Peninsula Country Market
- Saturdays: Volunteer with the Greater Victoria Green Team
- Sundays: Metchosin Farmers Market
- Oct 6: Langford Fire Rescue Open House
- Oct 10: The Future of BC’s Ancient Forests event
- Oct 17: The Great BC ShakeOut
- Oct 19: Victoria’s Oktoberfest
- Oct 25: Quivering Village Carnival and Crazy Maze
Government of Canada’s October 2019 health promotion days
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month – Canadian Cancer Society
- Lupus Awareness Month (in French only)
- Occupational Therapy Month
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month
- Mental Illness Awareness Week - October 6 to 12
- HPV Prevention Week - October 1 to 7
- Brain Cancer Awareness Day – October 14
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day - October 15
- Canadian Intensive Care Week - October 27 to November 2
- World Mental Health Day - October 10
- World Sight Day - October 10
- World Arthritis Day - October 12
- Pharmacy Technician Day - October 15
- World Spine Day - October 16
- National Psoriatic Arthritis Day - October 19
- International Stuttering Awareness Day - October 22
Walmsley and Associates
Our employee and family assistance provider has some great resources in their wellness library. Visit the Walmsley page on our HR website for login information.
- Substance use
- Emotional health/wellness
- Work/family/life balance
- Wellness apps (such as Headspace for meditation, Mindshift for anxiety, Smoke Free for smoking cessation)
The Healthy U team