Important information about Moodle archives
There are important changes coming to Moodle archives in the coming weeks. These changes will have implications for courses that are currently in the archives as well as courses that ended in June 2017. We understand that many members of our community continue to access Moodle courses after they are complete. Please note the following key dates and events:
- Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017: All courses currently in the Moodle course archive will be erased from the archives. This means that these courses will no longer be available. If you would like to keep any of the content from courses currently in the Archives, please do a course compile before Sept. 12.
- Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017: All courses in the Moodle credit server that ended before June 28, 2017 will be moved to the archives. These courses will remain in the archives for the next three years.
Archiving courses is an important part of how we maintain the performance of Moodle. Some important points to know about course archiving:
- Archiving allows us to ensure the integrity of our data backups and maintain performance of the LMS overall.
- Archiving happens every three to four years.
- Archiving does not affect live courses or those that are under development.
- Archiving means that courses in the credit server that ended more than 90 days prior (in this case, June 28, 2017) are moved to the archives. These courses are still available as archived courses until the next archive event.
- Archiving means that courses currently in the archives (i.e., those that archived in the previous archive event) are removed forever. These courses are no longer available after archiving.
Course compile is the only way to preserve the content from a course that is currently in the archives. After Sept. 12, this data will be gone. If you would like to preserve the content from a course that is currently in the archives, we suggest completing a course compile to ensure that the data is not lost.
If you would like some help completing a course compile or have any questions about course archiving, please don’t hesitate to contact STUDIO.