Microsoft Office 365 for free for home use!
Free Microsoft Office 365 for RRU students, staff and faculty - for your home computer!
Office 365 is available for FREE for all RRU students, staff and faculty to use at home. (Please do NOT install on your work computer. We will be upgrading from 2010 over the coming months but prefer to do so systematically :))
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a mix between web-based versions, mobile versions and fully functioning software versions of Microsoft Office. It looks and behaves very much like Office 2013. Office 365 is delivered to users through the cloud and includes the following:
- A full version of the traditional Microsoft Office suite of applications which can be installed on up to 5 PCs or Macs. This includes:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Publisher
- A web based version of the same Microsoft office software listed above available on any computer with an Internet connection.
- You are also able to use unrestricted versions on Microsoft Office for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile on 5 tablets (Windows, iPad, and Android) and 5 phones (Windows, iPhones, and Android)
- 1 terabyte (1000 gb) of online storage (OneDrive)
Why would you want to use it? If you already have the latest version of Microsoft Office then you might not want to switch to this subscription based service. However when you sign up for the Microsoft 365, you get so much more functionality and are able to install the software on up to 15 different devices (5 computers, 5 tablets and 5 phones). Also you are still able to use your current version of Microsoft Office if you wish, even with this subscription.
What are the terms and conditions?
You will have free access to Office 365 for as long as you have an active computer account at RRU
- Students - you are registered in a program and actively taking courses
- Faculty - you are actively teaching
- Staff - you are currently working
Please note that the software will continue to work while on-leave or between contracts.
What are the system requirements?
Office 365 requires Windows 7 or 8. Mac users need OS X 10.6 (or later). You'll also need Internet access to install Office 365 and to activate and manage your subscription (once a month). You'll need a compatible browser. IE 9, Firefox 12, Safari 5, or Chrome 18. Regarding hardware, at the very least, your local system will need the following.
- 1 GHz processor or Intel processor (for Macs).
- 1 GB or RAM (32-bit); 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
- 3 GB of available hard disk space; 2.5 GB for Macs.
With those minimum requirements met, you can expect that Office 365 will run, but it will be slow (really slow... really, really slow). Users with older systems might face significant upgrade costs before they can move to Office 365. If you have newer equipment, you will have less difficulties running Office 365.
I understand, what do I do next?
If you are ready and you understand the agreement, please proceed to the instructions on How to Activate your Office 365 Account.
Although the service is administered by Microsoft (or self-administered, depending on how you look at it) and we have almost no control over the subscription, we are happy to help if we can. Please feel free to search our KnowledgeBase for information or contact us via the webform or by phone at 250.391.2659 or visit us in Cedar 110 if you have any questions.
Cecelia David, Computer Services