Professional and personal development #3
Once again, my colleagues in HR and I are pleased to bring you the following Pro-D information highlighting a variety of learning opportunities for you to explore. In this third edition, we have included an enhanced EDI resource showcasing sessions from the Facing Forward conference held in March at Augsburg University.
Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) - As of April 1st the two PCS courses available to all RRU employees per fiscal year has reset, so we encourage you to view their online offerings here. We’ve recently added the following courses to our HR funded list for your consideration:
- Academic Writing and Critical Thinking
- Mindful Resilience in the Workplace: Making People More Resilient, Agile and Productive
- Writing for Business
- Design Thinking
LinkedIn Learning – We encourage you to explore the vast library of training videos available through our secured license for all employees.
- This week we recommend you explore Happiness Tips, which will give you some practical methods for achieving more happiness in your day-to-day life. There are over 50 ideas on the playlist, so we’re sure you’ll find something that will work for you!
- We’re all dealing with increased email traffic and using the flag function is a great way to remind you to action an email at a later time. Did you know that with the click of a button you could filter out any email that isn’t flagged? Find out how on this video, view your flagged Outlook mail with one click, from the course Monday Productivity Pointers.
- By the end of this pandemic we’re all going to be experts in video conferencing. But if you need a little help to get you there, we suggest the course Learning Zoom. The course is broken down into short videos on specific topics so you can find help easily.
Managing People and Teams Remotely
- Leading at a Distance – 36 min course | LinkedIn Learning
- 4 Ways You Can Give Your Remote Workforce a Sense of Togetherness – Article | LinkedIn Learning
- Leading Productive One to One Meetings – 29 min course | LinkedIn Learning
Health and Wellness
- 6 Things We All do at Work – That are Bad for Your Health – Article
- 3 Self-Care Practices to Help You Adjust to a New Work Environment – Article
- Thriving @ Work: the Connection between Well-being and Productivity – 41 min course
- Managing Stress for Positive Change – 57 min course
- Microsoft Teams Tips & Tricks - 1 hr 1 min course
- Your Presence on Video Conference Calls – 34 min course
- Time Management: Working From Home – 1 hr 25 min course
- Developing Resourcefulness – 18 min course | LinkedIn Learning
Roads to Research – The Office of Research Services and our faculty member colleagues are now bringing their research events to us virtually! We’re pleased to promote these fantastic sessions through the Roads to Research YouTube channel.
Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies (CTET) – All CTET workshops are free for RRU core faculty, associate faculty, and staff (see full workshop calendar). Please register by email. Enrollment is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Upcoming workshop:
The FORUM on Workplace Inclusion – The following link takes you to the FORUM’s annual conference Facing Forward, held in March, that looked ahead to a new decade and the challenges it brings business and industry locally and globally. Presentations explored key themes like Future Fluency, Global Citizenship, Universal Innovation, and New Perspectives.
Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI) – As an RRU employee, you have access to a variety of opportunities through the CCDI website including multiple monthly webinars and an expansive knowledge repository. To gain access, send an email with “Knowledge Repository Access” in the subject line. Be sure to include your full name and work email address in the body of the email.
- Our suggestions for your consideration this week are:
- April webinar: Leveraging cultural difference at work - This webinar provides an overview of how cultural difference is manifested at work and provides practical tips to manage cultural difference through interactive case studies.
- Knowledge repository: Respect in the workplace - Respect in the workplace is critically important for employers to improve workplace culture and morale, and decrease issues of absenteeism, employee complaints, and liability. This webinar will explore the concept of respect in the workplace and provide participants with information on their role in creating respectful workplaces for all.
- RRU meditation sessions - Join Linda Nelson (Faculty of Management) via Zoom twice a week for a guided meditation practice. Even though meditation is an individual practice at heart, the resonance effect of doing it in groups makes the meditation more profound personally and socially. There is a deep sense of community and support when we show up together to sit and breathe. To receive Zoom invites, please email Linda.
- Podcast: The Happiness Lab. Yale professor Dr. Laurie Santos will take you through the latest scientific research and share some surprising and inspiring stories that will forever alter the way you think about happiness. Find it on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or listen on Spotify.
- Plant a garden and watch it grow – Tips and tricks for the best results for your edible garden
- Zoom Exhaustion is Real - Six Ways to Find Balance and Stay Connected
- Walmsley - Our Employee and Family Assistance Program is a confidential program that includes professional counselling, information and referral services. For online information, advice and support, please visit the Walmsley website and use the User ID: royalroads and the password: healthyu
- RRU Recreation Centre – Maintain your physical health through livestreamed wellness classes from the Rec Centre, upcoming classes will be noted on their Facebook page and accessible through YouTube.
Just for fun
- One World Together at Home - Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli, Lady Gaga, Lang Lang, and John Legend perform "The Prayer" during the One World Together at Home concert held on April 18.
- Escape to Italy – Malika Ayane serenades us with Volare and beautiful Italy!
- Quarantine Remix – Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake at Home
- SGN – John Krasinski continues to bring us Some much need Good News
Once again, we hope you’ve been able to find some useful information here or something just to raise your spirits! We will continue to send these bi-weekly updates to provide you with additional learning opportunities, applicable courses and always some much needed “just for fun” content too!
Your Human Resources team