Professional and personal development #4
In this fourth edition of our pro-d email, we have strategically focused on highlighting a few key opportunities and we hope you find something of interest!
Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) – As of April 1st the two PCS courses available to all RRU employees per fiscal year has reset so, we encourage you to view their on-line offerings here.
- Strategic Systems Thinking: The Big Picture
- Coaching Cultures: Bringing Out the Best
- Survey of Financial Accounting
- Academic Writing and Critical Thinking
- Optimizing Change in Organizations
- Financial Accounting Fundamentals
LinkedIn Learning – We encourage you to explore the vast library of training videos available through our secured license for all employees LinkedIn Learning
- Recommended courses and articles for this week:
- Managing Virtual Teams
- Leading Virtual Meetings
- Building Resilience
- Take Control: 4 Everyday Practices to Build Resilience to Stress – Article
- Do This 4 Times a Day, And You'll Feel Way Less Stressed – Article
- 6 Things We All do at Work that are Bad for Your Health – Article
- The Value of working Remotely
- Productivity Tips: Finding Your Productive Mindset
Roads to Research – The Office of Research Services and our faculty member colleagues are now bringing their research events to us virtually! We’re pleased to promote the link to these fantastic sessions through the Roads to Research YouTube channel.
Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies (CTET) – All CTET workshops are free for RRU core faculty, associate faculty and staff (see full workshop calendar). Please send an email to register. Enrollment is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Upcoming workshop:
- May 21 and 28 from 1:30-3:00 pm (the workshop is comprised of two synchronous sessions): Teaching with Collaborate Ultra
Royal Roads University’s Writing Centre – Amazing resources to improve your writing in such areas as:
Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI) – As an RRU employee, you have access to a variety of opportunities through the CCDI website including multiple monthly webinars and an expansive knowledge repository. To gain access, send an email with “Knowledge Repository Access” in the subject line. Be sure to include your full name and work email address in the body of the email.
- Our suggestions for your consideration this week are:
- Accommodations - The ultimate checklist - In this webinar, we will discuss the different ways workplaces can provide accommodation to their workers, and how to move the conversation from accommodation to inclusion.
- Ageism and age discrimination - The term ageism is a socially constructed way of thinking about older people based on negative attitudes and stereotypes about aging. It can often ignore the needs this demographic has and the valued contributions they can make. In this webinar, we will look at ways of challenging age bias in the workplace.
- Transitions in the workplace - Promising practices in providing a positive space - Stronger human rights protections to include gender identity and expression as prohibited grounds against discrimination have led more individuals to feel safer bringing their authentic selves to the workplace. Yet many employers continue to express concern that their workplace and people managers are not equipped to fully support an employee’s gender transition on the job. Drawing upon stories that illuminate the many complexities a transitioning employee may be navigating, this engaging webinar will deepen participants understanding and provide promising practices for employers and people managers ready to take the next steps
- With beautiful weather in the forecast and more of us spending time outside, why not dust of your camera and take some shots of the beautiful place we get to call home. This Introduction to Photography course on LinkedIn Learning is a great place to get you started.
- Oprah’s your life in focus: A vision forward - an interactive virtual experience to help you reclaim your path to wellness in the face of unprecedented change.
- RRU meditation sessions - Join Linda Nelson (Faculty of Management) via Zoom twice a week for a guided meditation practice. Even though meditation is an individual practice at heart, the resonance effect of doing it in groups makes the meditation more profound personally and socially. There is a deep sense of community and support when we show up together to sit and breathe. To receive Zoom invites, please email Linda.
- Walmsley - Our Employee and Family Assistance Program is a confidential program that includes professional counselling, information and referral services. For online information, advice and support, please visit the Walmsley website and use the User ID: royalroads and the password: healthyu
- RRU Recreation Centre – Maintain your physical health through livestreamed wellness classes from the Rec Centre, upcoming classes will be noted on their Facebook page and accessible through YouTube.
Just for fun
- Company meeting with Mabel and Olive - Does this remind you of your Zoom meetings?
- You’re a wizard, Harry! – Escape to this hub of all things Harry Potter!
- SGN – John Krasinski continues to bring us Some much need Good News
Once again, we hope you’ve been able to find some useful information here or something just to raise your spirits! We will continue to send these bi-weekly updates to provide you with additional learning opportunities, applicable courses and always some much needed “just for fun” content too!
Your Human Resources Organizational Development team,
Anna, Damon, Jody and Lisa