RRU competition for core faculty
Dr. George Veletsianos, Royal Roads' Canada Research Chair in Innovative Learning and Technology, with the support of the Office of Research and Faculty Affairs, has developed a pilot competition dedicated to the dissemination of scholarships through animated videos.
The videos summarize and highlight scholarships in non-technical terms. Examples of such videos, created by Veletsianos for both his own work and the work of others, are:
Digital Learning Environments
A Review of the Effectiveness & Perceptions of Open Educational Resources As Compared to Textbooks
We invite applications from faculty interested in having videos created for their work. Animated videos may summarize:
- A research paper
- One aspect of your research (e.g. one theme from a list of findings)
- A project, such as a successful grant
- Or, one other aspect of your work (e.g. a successful pedagogical approach you developed)
How to Apply:
Pease complete the application form below and email it to Research Services. A maximum of eight projects will be selected for awards. Adjudication will be done by Veletsianos and his research team. Successful applicants will be asked to write a 500-word script (max) to be used in creating the videos.
Application deadline: March 1, 2017
Successful awardees’ 500-word script deadline: April 3, 2017
- Write a 500-word script (max)
- Review a draft version of the video and recommend any stylistic edits
Veletsianos’ research team will:
- Narrate the script
- Create the animation
- Provide a draft version of the video for stylistic recommendations/edits
- Provide the video in a format capable of being posted on YouTube
- Publish the video on the YouTube video channel above
Grants will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Does the proposal offer potential to highlight findings of wide relevance and interest?
- Is the proposal well-reasoned and well-argued?
- Is the proposal creative?
Note: This has also been distributed to the RRU faculty distribution list from Mary Bernard, AVP Research & Faculty Affairs.