What's happening in CTET & STUDIO?
April 4, 2017
Here’s a brief snap-shot of some of the highlights of the last few weeks in CTET & STUDIO:
- The STUDIO help-desk has been busy supporting instructors with Moodle-related questions that come in via email, phone or in person during our drop-in hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m). Lately, we’ve had a lot of questions about gradebook, assignments and teams, so we’ve also been updating the Knowledge Base with troubleshooting guides on these topics.
- In order to stay connected with the Royal Roads community, we have been increasing our use of Twitter, where we are sharing information about events and activities, announcements and events happening in CTET. Royal Roads faculty and staff are encouraged to follow STUDIO on Twitter using the handle @RRUStudio.
- In terms of CTET training & faculty development, the current Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) course is well underway and feedback from participants has been very positive. FLO offers participants the chance to develop their pedagogical skills for teaching in an online environment, and is offered free to Royal Roads instructors. The next session of the FLO course starts on May 1st and registration is open now for this course.
- Behind the scenes in STUDIO, our team of learning technologists and instructional designers have also been working with instructors on integrating Web 2.0 tools into their courses. For example, Anthony, a learning technologist, has been giving demos of FlipGrid and helping instructors learn how to use it in their courses. Ignacio, a learning technologist, and Donna, an instructional designer, have been developing some Google forms for use in some upcoming courses. Ignacio has also been exploring a new Web 2.0 called Zoom for use as a collaboration and teleconferencing platform.
- Cathy, a senior learning technologist, and Lauren, the new STUDIO liaison, recently worked with Geoff Bird from the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management to redesign and update the War Heritage Research Initiative website, a WebSpace page.
- Many of us are also working on projects that will roll out in the coming months. For example, Eric, one of our instructional designers, has been working closely with Garth von Buchholz in Professional and Continuing Studies on the design and development of an online course titled Social Media Strategy: Building and Maintaining Your Digital Brand, scheduled for early October.
- We are also putting together training for both WebSpace and the upcoming Moodle update (anticipated for late June 2017). We expect to offer WebSpace training in May and new Moodle training in June.